Wednesday, August 14, 2019
Bargaining continued at UCSD on Monday and Tuesday! We discussed and made some progress on several items, but perhaps most significant is that UC made their first proposals on Benefits and Compensation. The Compensation proposal includes a 3% increase to salary scales in 2019 and a 2% increase in subsequent years, which UC administration described as “generous.” This proposal grossly undervalues the contributions of Academic Researchers and the role we play in UC’s research mission; however, it is helpful to have UC’s initial position made clear.
Key to successfully winning a fair contract, and in particular one that better reflects our contributions, is the collective strength of almost 5,000 ARs. You can help by adding your name to our Fair Contract Now petition.
Other noteworthy items from bargaining session 8 include:
- We made more progress this session on Nondiscrimination contract language, which will provide strong protections to survivors of sexual assault, sexual harassment, or discrimination, but have not yet reached tentative agreement.
- We responded to UC’s proposal on Leaves, which included no paid parental leave, by discussing the challenges new AR parents face and sharing studies with UC administration that show paid parental leave actually increases workplace productivity and has a negligible cost to the employer.
- We made an updated proposal on Abusive Conduct and Microaggressions and shared concrete examples of how UC’s current policies for addressing bullying are woefully inadequate.
- UC made proposals for the Specialist and Professional Researcher title series. Both of these proposals simply codified existing UC policies for these title series, without addressing any ongoing issues with fair and transparent career advancement or job security.
- We also exchanged proposals and made progress on Union Security, and Grievance and Arbitration, in which UC agreed to provisions that help ensure international researchers facing termination receive full due process rights.
The next bargaining session will be September 12-13 at UC Santa Cruz. You can read all current proposals here. To win a fair contract, one immediate and important step you can take right now is to add your name to the bargaining petition. Now more than ever, it’s essential that UC understand that ARs are united in our commitment to do everything in our power to stop the delays and win a fair contract. Please join your fellow ARs in showing our unity by signing the petition today!
Academic Researchers United / UAW 5810 Bargaining Team
Andrea Anzalone, Project Scientist, UC Irvine
Gerard Ariño Estrada, Assistant Project Scientist, UC Davis
Angelo Demuro, Researcher, UC Irvine
Silvia Diaz-Perez, Associate Project Scientist, UCLA
Patrick Drake, Specialist, UC Santa Cruz
Jocelyne Fadiga, Junior Specialist, UC San Francisco
Mateusz Gola, Associate Researcher, UC San Diego
Royce Harner, Assistant Specialist, UC San Francisco
Leah Hartman, Junior Specialist, UC Davis
Christian Hofmann, Assistant Project Scientist, UCLA
Benjamin Lynch, Associate Researcher, UC Berkeley
Siyan Ma, Associate Specialist, UC Berkeley
Manash Paul, Assistant Researcher, UCLA
Christina Priest, Assistant Project Scientist, UCLA
David Quint, Associate Project Scientist, UC Merced
Michael Rich, Researcher, UCLA
Maike Roth, Assistant Specialist, UC San Francisco
Pascal Saint-Hilaire, Assistant Researcher, UC Berkeley
Lisa Schwarz, Assistant Researcher, UC Santa Cruz
Margaret Soucheray, Associate Specialist, UC San Francisco
Theo Tarver, Assistant Specialist, UC San Francisco
Fenfen Wu, Associate Project Scientist, UCLA