UC Drops Objections to Union Recognition
On Friday, March 22 UC agreed to drop their objections to the Academic Researcher bargaining unit. The text of the agreement is below, along with a summary. Please do not hesitate to reach out with questions or at email@example.com.
- All four Academic Researcher title series, Project Scientist, Specialist, Professional Researcher, and Coordinator of Public Programs, will be included in the bargaining unit.
- Visiting titles will be reserved for individuals who have an appointment or are employed by another institution. Employees that do not meet the visiting title criteria will be moved to a non-visiting title in the unit. Doctoral students from a non-UC institution may also be placed in a visiting job title for a maximum of 12 months.
- Coordinators of public programs at UCSD extension will be transferred to a more appropriate, non-AR title series.
- Professional Researchers will be included, unless they have a primary (50% or greater) appointment in another job title for which research is an expected duty of the concurrent title.
- Supervisors named by UC will be excluded from the unit until such time the parties reach a mutual agreement on the status of any individual supervisor(s) on the list or there is a separate PERB filing and decision with respect to such supervisor(s).